The aim of the course is to equip learners with the practical skills, knowledge and competence to provide first aid and life-saving support in an accident situation.
Students must demonstrate a range of competencies in order to successfully complete the course. Upon completion of the course the student will be able to:
- Recognise and Assess the causes and effects of sudden illness and/or injury in a pre-hospital environment and call for emergency medical services.
- React to such pre-hospital emergencies.
- Respond in a safe, effective, and appropriate manner to such emergencies.
- Record and Report actions and interventions taken while responding to and managing such incidents and during handover to emergency medical services.
- Retain a professional and caring attitude in their performance as First Aiders
- Patient Assessment
- Incident Procedures
- Common medical emergencies
- Injury management and shock
- Care of the unconscious patient
- Burns and electrical injury care
- Hypothermia and hyperthermia
All participants will be required to partake in practical exercises which are an essential element of the course. Some of the exercises are on the floor, simulating real life situations. We therefore ask participants to wear practical and comfortable clothing to the course.